Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quality time with Dad - Cross Country Skiing

This memory is a more recent set of memories than those I have been recording so far, but it has been on my mind lately so I wanted to add it while I was thinking about it.

The other day I was wondering what I could do to get closer to James. I realized that I need to find an activity that James and I could do together on a regular basis that will let us spend some quality time together. As I was brain storming about what this could be I thought back to when I was growing up and what I used to do with Dad on a regular basis that brought us closer together and that I really enjoyed doing... As you probably guessed from the title it was Cross Country Skiing.

I am not sure what age we were, but at a young age in our new house I remember Phil and I got cross country skiis for christmas. I believe Dad already had some but this made it so that we could all go out together. From then on we would go cross country skiing often with Dad and always had a great time. Most of the time we would ski up to the medows and then either go around the medows, or go up towards the switch backs, or down into the canyon on the west. We would fall a lot, get cold a few times, but mostly just have a great time. I dont remember doing a lot of talking as we were skiing because we were usually following each other, but once we would get to the medows, we would usually just stand there and look into the valley and talk, or fall over into the snow and lay there talking. I remember especially one time where we were just standing there talking with Dad and all of a sudden he just fell over. We all thought it was so funny and could not stop laughing.

I remember almost every christmas we would go out cross country skiing in the after noon and as Tav and Colin got older they would come with us. I even remember Mom coming with us some of the time which made for a great family activity. I will never forget what a great time I had growing up going cross country skiing!

1 comment:

Pippo said...

I loved those ski trips... I also loved when we would walk to the meadows in the summer.