Thursday, November 12, 2009

My First Hike

The first hike I ever remember going on was up spanish fork canyon I believe. I was very young but think I returned to the same spot when I was older which is how I remember where it was. Dad took Phil and I on a drive and then pulled off into this little dirt parking area that had big hills surrounding it on 3 sides. There were trails going up the hills in several places and we took one that circled around and ended up near a drop off that overlooked our car. There was one part of the hike in particular that makes it very memorable. There was a section of the trail that went over about five feet of very slick rock. The slick rock went about 10 feet down and then right off the cliff. When crossing this rock I remember starting to slide and then phil started to slide and we were sliding toward the drop off and couldnt stop. Dad quickly grabbed us and pulled us back onto the trail. Now I really dont think we were sliding very fast and I also dont think we were very close to the drop off, but I do remember being scared. I think we made dad carry us back over that spot on the way down. Other than that one scare I remember it being a great hike.

1 comment:

Pippo said...

I remember this too! Do you remember an arch? I seem to remember hiking around a small arch in the red rock. I think we were up Diamond Fork canyon...